Today is Tuesday, Sept. 29, the 273rd day of 2020. There are 93 days left in the year.
Highlights in history
• In 1789, the U.S. War Department established a regular army with a strength of several hundred men.
• In 1910, the National Urban League had its beginnings in New York as The Committee on Urban Conditions Among Negroes.
• In 1918, Allied forces began their decisive breakthrough of the Hindenburg Line during World War I.
• In 1938, British, French, German and Italian leaders concluded the Munich Agreement, which was aimed at appeasing Adolf Hitler by allowing Nazi annexation of Czechoslovakia’s Sudetenland.
• In 1943, General Dwight D. Eisenhower and Italian Marshal Pietro Badoglio signed an armistice aboard the British ship HMS Nelson off Malta.
• In 1975, baseball manager Casey Stengel died in Glendale, California, at age 85.
• In 1978, Pope John Paul I was found dead in his Vatican apartment just over a month after becoming head of the Roman…